So I like most women I love and hate spring. I love the warm weather, pretty flowers blooming, and the excitement in the air on a college campus! I do not like turning in my leggings and baggy shirts for cute summer shorts and blouses… especially after hibernating all winter. Also I blame Prince Charming, he made me feel loved and comfortable and like I should eat all those cookies in bed watching tv this winter…. Blahhhhh. (Prince Charming helped eat those cookies and he also needed new clothes as well so check out my style guide for men!)
So as we headed to the sunny south I packed my favorite summer clothes and they were all a wee bit tight. So I did what sensible person would do I took my Grammy up on the offer to go to the mall! For years I have been saying that I want to be the girl in the sundresses, think Jane the Virgin she always looks so cute and classic in her bright colored sundresses!
So my first stop was Old Navy- cheap and fun the perfect dresses to wear to class, not worry about getting them stained, and lots of bang for my buck. I tried a LOT of dresses on and loved a LOT of them! Below are some of the dresses I got, I tried to pick a good variety some strappy for grabbing a drink with friends and then some more professional for work and student government meetings. While there I also grabbed some light tanks and light weight cotton/linen pants.
Please, find a store that has clothes that fit you and gives you that “damn these look good” feeling! For me that’s Lane Bryant for pants shopping. This is where I splurge and recommend spending the money anything I have bought from there holds up and will be good season after season. I have a terrible time finding pants or shorts that fit and feel comfortable. I tried on lots of pants and shorts but I mixed and matched till I walked out with a huge smile on my face! The FIT MATTERS! Make sure to try a couple sizes and fits to find the right ones. I tried the Lena in an 18 and a Sophie in a 20. The Lena is a curvier fit, while the Sophie is a slimmer fit. For me I liked the Sophie’s in a 20 rather than taking the smaller size number. Lane Bryant is great about giving out coupons when you spend money, so I have $50 off my next $100 purchase, a pretty good deal!
The biggest lesson I learned this trip:
- DO NOT worry about what size the garment says it is, the fit is much much much more important than a number!
- DO buy cotton/ linen materials when you can. These will be lightweight and comfy. Polyester means you will literally wrap yourself in plastic and be hot!
- Wear comfy shoes to shop around in, consider it a hunting expedition not a time to show off.
- Take good friends with you to make the day fun. Price Charming sat in the changing room with me giving me his honest opinion and hanging everything back up after I had tried it on and didn’t want it.
- Throw some shorts on underneath a dress if you’re going to do lots of walking to keep you comfy and chub rub free! My favorite are at Wal-Mart for $9 they are slip shorts so they are a little slick so my dress doesn’t stick to them like cotton spandex shorts and ride up.
Where are some of your favorite places to shop and tips & tricks?